Overseas Applications

Veterinarian, is one of the occupations listed on the New Zealand, Long Term Skill Shortage List (as at July 08), therefore as a qualified Vet you may be eligible for a work visa and permit.

If you are interested in working in New Zealand you will need to check your details with an licensed immigration adviser (http://www.iaa.govt.nz/adviser-register).

The following information was taken from the Governments Immigration Website:

Requirements for a work visa and/or permit

  • you should be under 53 years of age when you apply for the work visa or permit. (This is because you have to be under 56 years to be eligible for residence after two years).
  • you must meet the New Zealand health requirements – see NZ Immigration website for details
  • you must have an offer of employment which is
    • in an occupation on the LTSSL
    • genuine
    • full time (on average, at least 30 hours a week)
    • for a term of at least two years
  • you must be suitably qualified, i.e. have a bachelor of Veterinary Science or equivalent
  • you must be either fully or provisionally registered with the New Zealand Vet Council – www.vetcouncil.org.nz

Applying for a work visa and/or permit

You can apply for a work visa or permit when you are:

  • living outside New Zealand and you want to travel here
  • already in New Zealand but you are not employed.

If you are successful in your application for employment with VetEnt, we will complete a NZIS 1113 which will be used as part of your visa application.

NB - Your partner or dependent children cannot be included in your application. They will need to apply for their own visa or permit to come to New Zealand.

To apply, print and complete the form Application to Work in New Zealand (NZIS 1015) PDF [117KB] and submit with all the relevant paperwork and fee to your immigration adviser.

Guide for Working in New Zealand (NZIS 1016) PDF [202KB] for further information.

If you are successful in your application, New Zealand Immigration will issue you with a work visa and/or permit for up to 30 months.

Once you have worked in New Zealand as a Vet for two years you can apply for residence.

For more information go to www.immigration.govt.nz or contact a licensed immigration adviser on this list http://www.iaa.govt.nz/adviser-register

Make an Appointment

For emergencies or urgent appointments within the next 24 hours, please phone the clinic directly.